Pages

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Fast Shutter Speed

Using a fast shutter speed in photography can capture fast moving objects dead in their tracks. Water can be a rather fast moving subject to photograph with one example being a splash in the water. The water can be thrown into the air at a rather fast pace, making it difficult to photograph without the image resulting in motion blur. The way to get around this is to shorten the shutter speed so less light can enter the camera and blur the image. However, only altering the shutter to a faster speed will mean the images will be too dark to see as not enough light has entered the camera to make the image clear. This means the cameras ISO settings need to be altered to increase the white balance and make the images brighter and clearer while also capturing the fast moving subject with great detail and achieving a successful fast shutter speed photograph.

Here are some examples of successful fast shutter water splashes using the correct shutter speed and ISO settings. The images are clear and legible and show the movement of water with immense detail




When I began to experiment with fast shutter speeds I practiced by playing around with ISO settings to make sure I had a good understanding of how to correctly take these photos and get the best results. Then I proceeded to set up my camera, which I had facing a bowl of water. I chose to take the photos outside, as the natural lighting would shine on the top of the water showing every ripple and splash. After putting my camera on continuous shutter to get a good chance of taking an image of the splashes, I started to drip water into the bowl. Here are my results.









Contact Sheet:


No comments:

Post a Comment